Sunday, April 22, 2018

Oriental, NC and on to Our First Anchorage

An easy day up to Oriental - spent a leisurely morning in Beaufort doing laundry, cleaning the boat, eating the local breakfast buffet, shopping the farmers market, filling the water and fuel tanks, and pumping out the holding tanks. Departed for our next destination, Beaufort, NC, around noon and made the easy trip in 3 hours. I had not slept well for the past few nights due to the low overnight temperatures and not being able to get warm enough, and the lack of sleep was wearing me down. What we needed was a real blanket for our bed, not just the sheet and bed spread, so I walked a bit over a mile (no Uber and no taxis) to Dollar General and bought one (not for a dollar though) - along with two more ice cube trays!

As soon as I exited the store parking lot, I stuck out my thumb, and damn if the first vehicle to pass me did not stop and give me a ride back to own! Bob was a local on his was to his favorite Beaufort tavern and a prince as far as I was concerned. And I was plenty warm last night.

We found some fresh local shrimp at a seafood shack called kackleberries - they also sold fresh eggs - berries from the bird that kackles... and both were delicious!

Plan to be on the hook tonight at the southern end of the Alligator River (still in NC). We had a very rough ride across the Pamlico Sound this morning, though Finally handled it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment